Wichita Falls MCC…You are Welcome Here!
22 April 2016
BOARD MEETING is this Sunday after church.
Please join us as we welcome a special guest!
Camping Season is Here!
It’s BEAUTIFUL outside…at least, when it’s not raining, that is! The rainy season is upon us, bringing with it some gorgeous, cool, sunny weather in between deluges. PERFECT for camping!
Our All-Church Friends & Family Camp Out is scheduled for April 29 – May 1. All are welcome to join us for overnight stays AND/OR mealtimes and activities. You do NOT have to stay overnight to join us and have a great time!
Friday, April 29
- 6:30pm – Dinner together! We will help one another setup tents and abodes after we feast on campfire nachos. Dessert will be at sundown: S’mores!
- Campfire songs and stories.
Saturday, April 30
- Early morning fishing…whenever folks get moving! When you’re up, just meet together at the dock. Bring your gear. No license requred in the State Park.
- Breakfast – 9:00am
- Relaxation Hangout – Enjoy the birds and wildlife together. we should be visited by a host of prairie dogs. Bring your pets (ON LEASHES) to meet one another.
- Campsite Games – horseshoes, frisbee, bean bag toss…whatever games you bring! We’ll have a table for board games, too!
- Lunch – 1:00pm
- Naps and More hanging out…come join us!
- Afternoon Fishing – 3:00pm – meet at the dock with your tack!
- Dinner – 6:00pm, Dessert at sundown.
- Evening Fishing – 7:00pm – ?
- Evening campfire songs and stories!
- Up and at ’em! 9:00am
- Breakfast at church at 10:00am
- Church at 11:00am
- Lunch together at Jason’s Deli
- Camp take-down (we have the campsite through to Monday morning, so we can be leisurely!)
Your Church Leadership…
Board of Trustees Members Wendy Boone, Kristen Kleist, Shirley Miller, Beth Romm, Gary White
To contact the board: Board@WichitaFallsMCC.org
Kelly Poer, Gail Murphy, Laura Nix, Cathy Youngblood
Youth Deacon Candidate
Youth & Children Ministry
Kim Haskin & Beth Romm
WFMCC on YouTube!
Our church is on the ‘net! Check out our YouTube Channel and watch worship online!
Downtown Dinner welcomed 56 folks this month (April)! Special thanks to the Thursday morning Bible Study class at First UMC for the amazing lasagna dinner!
Following Jesus in the Real World: Worship with the Gospel of Mark
- April 24 – “Another Kind of King” – Princes ride white horses, but the King rides a young donkey. Which are you seeking?
- May 1 – “The Barren Temple” – How distractions of culture can render us fruitless.
- May 8 – “Who is this Guy?” – A Cornerstone of God’s Kin-dom
“Light a Fire”
Come experience the Spirit’s working anew!
Help decorate the church on Wednesday, May 11th after Praise Team (about 7:15pm)
Mark Your Calendar
Join us on May 15th after church for an all-church Pentecost Potluck! Bring a dish to share and bring a friend along, too! We will enjoy our potluck together after worship. Those interested in joining MCC will be invited to join in Membership Class after we eat. Members are encouraged to stay and welcome our new folks!
Building Improvements…We have a RAMP!
After many years contemplating how we might make our building and worship space accessible to our friends and members who utilize wheelchairs and scooters, we finally have a ramp! The ramp has been built by a talented contractor who wishes to remain unnamed. Carpet was donated to cover the new structure and further improvements will be made to add to the ramp’s security. It is fully accessible and has already been utilized by our Downtown Dinner community.
Also… The chancel area light fixture has been repaired. In the front bathroom, we no longer have to search for a light switch…it’s automatic! The Fellowship Hall bathroom toilet is now fixed with handlebars for those who might struggle to stand. The admin & music office has been reorganized for better storage space.
It’s an exciting time at WFMCC! Watch for more updates! Want to help? Call the church office to let us know! 940-322-4100
Strategic Plan Updates…
Wichita Falls MCC’s congregation passed a Strategic Plan for 2015-2020.
- Promote Building Rental – We are looking for a leader who will post rental advertisements on a bi-weekly basis on free trading posts, craigslist, texhomahomepage.com, and others. If you’re interested in helping, please let Pastor Mel know!
- Bolster Social Ministry – Social Ministry is at work! Movie nights are well attended (7+), Easter Backyard BBQ hosted more than 100 visitors and friends, and potlucks bring folks together each month.
- Membership Cultivation – Membership class in March and April didn’t bring in new attendees, but that gave us time to revamp our setup! We already have RSVPs from 7 folks for our May membership class!
- Rebuild Children’s Ministry – Eliza (and/or Meredith) continues to offer children’s church playtime during worship every week. If you have access to a gift card for a popular restaurant or store that you’d like to give her to show our appreciation, please bring it to church!
- Grow Garden Ministry – The first external planter box is installed and tomatoes planted! Pastor Mel will seek grant funds for additional boxes to be built. We need weeders for the planter box and the big garden…please be in touch if you would like to help!
- After-School Program – Referring to other organizations.
- Mission/Outreach Program w/tees – We are considering a design. If you would like a tee, please bring your t-shirt (blank on all sides) to church and give it to K.K. 🙂
- Pew repair/reupholster – Awaiting proposals.
WFMCC enjoyed a month “in the black” on our accounting books in February 2016! Thank you to everyone who offered your regular tithe and offering, and for those who gave over and above!
As of this third week in April, we are a little behind our needed monthly income. (We’re NOT in financial duress…please don’t worry; rather pray and give generously as you are led.) The board will be reviewing and approving financial statements from March this Sunday at board meeting.
Remember – the financial health of our church depends on you, and what you give is an investment in the good news that God’s love is all-inclusive. That’s a message this world needs!
Let us all work together to meet the financial needs of our church expenses! Financials for February are posted in the front foyer of the sanctuary, if you’d like more detail!
Get Married @ WFMCC!
Members of WFMCC may reserve the church building for free. Non-Members are asked to provide a $100 donation for building use. For more information, contact 940-322-4100 or email us at info@WichitaFallsMCC.org.
Spiritual Development Study – Living the Questions
LtQ is an open-minded alternative to studies that attempt to give participants all the answers and instead strives to create an environment where participants can interact with one another in exploring what’s next for Christianity. LtQ features thirty acclaimed scholars, theologians, and experts. Each session will be one hour. The 20-minute video segments include conversations with leading voices of faith, digital stories illustrating aspects of an evolving faith, and concrete spiritual practices and disciplines.
(Re)Starting May 8th, Sundays, 4:00pm
Are you interested in becoming a member of WFMCC? Join us for Membership class! The next Membership class will be May 15th after potluck. RSVP to 940-322-4100! Plan on staying two hours.
- Welcome & Opening Prayer
- Sharing Our Experiences with WFMCC
- UFMCC review – who & what is this denomination?
- Our Church
- Tithing & Giving: A Focus on Financial Health & Wholeness
- Membership Benefits
- Membership Expectations
- Regular Attendance (Once per month minimum)
- Recorded Financial Support
- Involvement in Programs & Ministry
- The Membership Covenant
- Projected Join Date: December 6th
- Closing Prayer
Documents…these will be provided at class, but in case you’d like to preview them:
- Spiritual Gifts Inventory (adult & youth, password: gospeloflove)
- WFMCC Bylaws & SOP’s
- WFMCC Membership Covenant
The Life of the Church
WFMCC Praise Team – We practice on Wednesdays, 5:45-7:00pm.
Outreach – Serve with your church family!
Tuesday Morning Crew – Have a few hours to devote to those necessary “odd jobs” around church? Join the Tuesday Morning Crew! 9:00am – 12:00pm
Downtown Dinner – Help Serve the community while you experience the benefit of sharing Christ’s love with others! Service: Every third Tuesday, 5:30pm
Community Garden Team – The Community Garden Team is already being harvested. The strawberries are in season! Come join us in working the garden!
Cleaning Crew – We need a team of folks dedicated to cleaning the church each week for worship, and deep-cleaning about once per quarter. Please let Pastor Mel know if you’re willing to lend a hand!
Hospitality Hour – Come to church a little early on Sunday and enjoy a full breakfast and time to connect! Service: Sundays, 10:00am
Potlucks – Bring a dish to share on these days!
o May 15th (Pentecost!)
o June 12th
Board of Trustees – Next meeting on April 24th after church – special guest joining us!
Also at Church…
INTO ACTION – ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
Alcoholics Anonymous Alcoholics Anonymous is an organization of people who want to share their experiences, lend strength and help the members and others recover from alcoholism. Into Action Meeting Mondays, 7:00pm, in the rear fellowship hall. This is an OPEN meeting!
ALSO – An open potluck and speaker meeting happens every 2nd Saturday of the month, beginning at 5:30pm. Join us!
Church Relationship Building
Are you struggling to connect with others at church? Finding that your expectations aren’t being met? Need to speak with someone about getting and staying connected? Review these important documents adopted by our church in March 2014. These are guiding principles that help us all know what is to be expected, what we can expect, and how we can build lasting relationships with one another.