Wichita Falls MCC…You are Welcome Here!
21 May 2015
Flooding and Safety
Do you remember praying for rain? Well…
After several years of drought conditions, Wichita Falls is once again in the midst of a major flood! Recent rains within and surrounding the Falls have overburdened the banks of the Wichita River.
As sometimes happens, our fervent prayers see answers of overabundance. Now, in this time of overabundance, please turn your prayers to the safety and comfort of those impacted by the flood. If you live within the area that emergency services and city officials are recommending evacuation, PLEASE evacuate! Whether or not you think your home might flood, consider the needs of emergency service workers to deal with emergencies, rather than becoming an emergency because the flood did, in fact, reach your home.
If you are located in the flood zone and need aid or shelter, please let your church know by texting 214-500-1935. If you are NOT in the flood zone and would be able to offer aid or shelter, please also let us know!
NOTE: FM Roads 367, 368, and 369 are all closed.
The following are suggestions from city officials to prepare for evacuation.
- Gather all your medications.
- Make a plan for your pets. (The Wichita County Humane Society is offering temporary shelter for pets. Call 940-855-4941 for more information. Shot records required!)
- Prepare the contents of your home.
- Disconnect all electronics.
- Gather important documents (birth certificates, marriage certificates, powers of attorney, wills, etc.)
Dearest Lord Jesus, be our companion and our comfort in the midst of fear and danger. Empower those of us suffering to reach out. Empassion those of us who are privileged to escape this particular danger to welcome others. Remind us in our complaining that you are working healing of creation, and in the healing of creation, you heal us. Open the doors to options for care and solution. Most of all, be with us, carry us in our distress and our exhaustion. For you are our Savior, our certainty and our light. Amen.
Memorial Weekend with UR Church
Do you know what Memorial Day is? It’s FAR MORE than a three-day weekend!
From Wikipedia: “Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering
the people who died while serving in the country’s armed forces.
…formerly known as Decoration Day and originated after the American Civil War
to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the war.
By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans
who died while in the military service.”
While church is not a politicial or even a national space, the freedom we have to worship as we believe is most beneficial for ourselves and our community is afforded to us as part of our country’s constitution and bill of rights. Those who have sacrificed their lives serving the purpose of maintaining such freedom to worship have given us an immeasurable gift. Remembering them and those who currently serve is a small token of our gratitude.
Join your church family on Saturday, May 23rd, at Lucy Park (and if it’s raining, we will meet in the WFMCC Fellowship Hall) for a potluck lunch and to do a little service! PLEASE BRING A GUEST…OR FIVE! Details:
- Set up for our lunch will start at 9:30am at church (to gather tables, chairs and such)
- 11:30am – Gather for lunch! Bring a dish to share!
- 1:00pm – Servicemember Care Packs! Bring items to place in care packs that will be delievered to Sheppard for distribution among servicemembers. Suggested items: Socks, foot powder, lip balm, icy hot topical cream, lens cleaning cloths, eyeglass cleaner, Taco Bell/Taco Casa hot sauce packets, water flavoring packets (like kool-aid and crystal light), handwritten cards expressing gratitude, q-tips, peanut butter singles, protein bars, roll of Charmin (or other SOFT toilet paper), soft facial tissue, Children’s drawings of gratitude (will have paper and crayons at the lunch!), sheets, travel games. Goal: 10 care packs
- ALL EVENT – We will have goodies for sale to raise money for postage. Bring your best brownies, pies, cakes, cookies…whatever might sell!
- ALL EVENT – You will also have the opportunity to take a small American Flag and write your loved one’s name on it – or label one in honor of the unknown soldier. These will be placed in the church yard following the lunch!
Remember the story of Pentecost! The Holy Spirit came like a violent wind and tongues of fire rested upon each person gathered. The disciples were compelled to take the Word out to the streets and spoke to the multitudes, each in their own language! What an amazing spectacle of the Holy Spirit’s work!
This Pentecost Sunday – May 24th – we will celebrate the movement of the Holy Spirit! Join us for breakfast at 10am, then worship at 11am, followed by a lunch outing! (Location: TBD) Worship will feature some special music, as well as a few languages we’re not used to hearing! Come and listen to the Word of God, in your language and others!
On April 5th, Easter Sunday, NBC begins a television series titled “A.D.” This series moves through the stories held in the Biblical accounts of the Book of Acts. Watch the Preview Here! >>
Our A.D. Program
Watch the Series
Episode One was a great start to the series! If you missed it and would like to watch, go to http://www.nbc.com/ad-the-bible-continues/video.
In small groups through the week, you will have the opportunity to discuss the week’s episode and the scripure that pertains to it. Learn about the major players in the book, from Peter to Paul, and their impact on the formation of the Early Church.
Study Group 1 – WFMCC Fellowship Hall – Tuesdays 10:00am
Study Group 2 – WFMCC Fellowship Hall – Thursdays 7:00pm
|Lesson 1 – Hope for a New Beginning
Lesson 3 – Pentecost Power
Lesson 5 – A Bigger Picture
Lesson 7 – A Wider Circle
Lesson 9 – Let It Go
Lesson 11 – Credit the Source
|Lesson 2 – Wait for It
Lesson 4 – What Matters Most
Lesson 6 – Scattered Seeds
Lesson 8 – Respond to God
Lesson 10 – Life Moments
Lesson 12 – Unstoppable
Join us each week for Sunday services! Discuss the week’s happenings at 10am breakfast in the fellowship hall, then engage in a sermon series based on the book of the Acts of the Apostles!
I am Texas Campaign
Do you ever get tired of not being represented in major Texas and national (and global) media outlets among “Christians”? Ever wonder where “Christ” really is in our Christian communities? Do you wish that a more welcoming voice, a more compassionate perspective, or a more authentically Christ-like attitude were guiding the conversation?
Here’s your chance to help build a community of Texas Christian and spiritual social justice-makers…and help our church as well! We’re starting with Wichita Falls MCC and the bumper sticker “I am Texas”. The website www.Texans4Christ.org is a feature website for churches and spiritual communities that follow the example of Jesus of Nazareth, Christ, through compassion and service.
This campaign is JUST BEGINNING! Bumpber stickers, t-shirts, posters…all of these help a local church like WFMCC raise money to enhance ministries so that when communities are featured on the site and receive visitors attracted to our message, we are ready!
Support WFMCC NOW by getting your “I am Texas” bumper sticker today! Click here!
Are you interested in becoming a member of WFMCC? Join us for Membership class!
The next Membership class will be Saturday, May 30th at 10:00am. Snacks provided…plan on staying two hours max.
Documents…these will be provided at class, but in case you’d like to preview them:
Call for Volunteers…
We have need for volunteers in several areas of the life of our church. Please let Pastor Mel know (PastorMel@WichitaFallsMCC.org, 214-500-1935) if you are willing to serve in any of the following roles… NOTE: Service on some teams require membership in the church. This is not to exclude anyone, but to ensure that those assisting with decisions have been involved in the life of the congregation for some time and have a sense of the covenant of membership and expectations therein. Members who wish to serve, but who have not signed a membership covenant will need to sign a covenant to begin service.
1. Bylaws Team – Some months ago we were notified that UFMCC does not have a copy of our bylaws on file. After review of our Bylaws, it’s become clear that the current version is not substantial enough to 1) protect the church or 2) foster excellent relationships through reasonable expectations church-wide. So, we need three volunteers to serve with the Board of Trustees in writing and presenting new bylaws. Reading and writing skills necessary. Member Only.
2. Stewardship Team – The Stewardship Team focses on the task of organizing events and ongoing fundraisers to raise money in an effort to reach our budget needs. This team needs to be creative in thought, willing to offer time and talent to various fundraisers, self-motivated, and excited to spread the word about our congregation! We are in need of…
a) Two volunteers to serve as team co-leaders, members only.
b) Three volunteers to serve as team members: two members, one friend of the church.
3. Benevolence Team – The Benevolence Team focuses on raising money and resources (food, clothes, phone cards, etc) to help serve individuals and families unable to make ends meet through other organization efforts. We are in need of…
a) Two volunteers to serve as team co-leaders, members only.
b) Three volunteers to serve as team members: members or friends of the church.
4. Worship Team – Do you enjoy planning excellent visuals, doing the order of worship “right”, and would you like to work closely with Pastor Mel to plan the spiritual journey of our congregation through worship? Then you are needed! We are in need of…
a) One volunteer to serve as team co-lead (with Pastor Mel), member only.
b) Three to Five volunteers to serve as team members: members or friends of the church.
5. Safe Sanctuaries Team – In this world, we come into contact with people whose behavior injures others. Nowhere is this more challenging for us than in the case of sexual offenders. Still, Jesus has set the example for us that those who have expressed remorse and seek to live a better life deserve our welcome and our diligence in assisting them along the way. To that end, we must both 1) make sure that our sanctuary is open to all, and 2) ensure that all within our sanctuary are safe. We need a team of gifted, forgiving, and responsible people to help us realize these goals. We are in need of…
a) One volunteer to serve as team co-lead (with Pastor Mel and a member of the Board of Trustees), member only.
b) Three volunteers to serve as team members: members only.
The Life of the Church
WFMCC Voices in Praise Choir – Choir practices at 7:30pm in the WFMCC Sanctuary. We are working on our May anthem and a summer mini-cantata! If you are interested in joining the choir or offering support to the choir, please join us at that meeting!
Board of Trustees – Meeting – May 31st, after church
INTO ACTION – ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
Alcoholics Anonymous Alcoholics Anonymous is an organization of people who want to share their experiences, lend strength and help the members and others recover from alcoholism. Into Action Meeting Mondays, 7:00pm, in the rear fellowship hall. This is an OPEN meeting!
INTO ACTION – OVEREATERS ANONYMOUS
Overeaters Anonymous is now meeting at the church during the lunch hour on Wednesdays. This is an OPEN meeting! All are welcome.
Church Relationship Building
Are you struggling to connect with others at church? Finding that your expectations aren’t being met? Need to speak with someone about getting and staying connected? Review these important documents adopted by our church in March 2014. These are guiding principles that help us all know what is to be expected, what we can expect, and how we can build lasting relationships with one another.