Wichita Falls MCC…You are Welcome Here!
26 June 2015
Thank You SCOTUS!
This is an historic day! Today, June 26, 2015, the Supreme Court of the United States, in a 5-4 ruling, has determined that denying same-sex couples licenses to marry is UNconstitutional. It is NOW legal in all of the United States for same-sex (same-gender-loving) couples to be married.
Martin Luther King, Jr. reminded us that “A right delayed is a right denied.” For too long, the United States government has denied same-sex, committed couples from binding their lives together in legal marriage. In the time we waited, MCC offered Holy Unions to those who were determined to be blessed in their relationships before God and the gathered community. Today, MCC’s may offer the service of Holy Matrimony – a rite of the Christian church – for all couples, and sign the legal documents pertaining to civil marriage in conjunction with the rite. If YOU would like to be married at Wichita Falls MCC by Pastor Mel, or another certified officiant, please call 940-322-4100 to schedule a consultation.
This is the day God has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it! (Psalm 118:24)
This weekend’s Pride events in Wichita Falls will be bolstered up by the decision toward equality! Join us for worship in the Park this Sunday to celebrate Pride – Pride in Christ, Pride in Spirit, Pride in our Creator, Pride in our created selves…just as we are and are fashioned by God. 11:00am – Lucy Park Main Pavilion
From Equality Texas…
Love and freedom have won, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled in favor of the freedom to marry, striking down marriage bans nationwide, including here in Texas!
It’s a wonderful day for the history books.
The door is now open for thousands of families across the nation to finally get the respect that they deserve. This decision will bring enormous joy across the country – and throughout Texas. Soon, loving, committed couples in Texas will be able to get married – and we want to help you find out how to do just that.
Dearest Lord Jesus, be our companion in our celebrations of life. Be our motivator in our efforts toward justice. Be our comfort in the midst of change. Help us to answer the inevitable anger of those who may hate us with faith in You, ever joyful and always all we need. For you are our Savior, our light and our life. Amen.
Join us for the All-Church Garage Sale!
THIS SATURDAY – June 27th
7:30am…till it’s gone!
Church in the Park
We’re having Church in the Park!!!
Lucy Park – Main Pavilion
(next to the pool)
Sunday, June 28th – 11:00am
Watch the Series
Episode One was a great start to the series! If you missed it and would like to watch, go to http://www.nbc.com/ad-the-bible-continues/video.
In small groups through the week, you will have the opportunity to discuss the week’s episode and the scripure that pertains to it. Learn about the major players in the book, from Peter to Paul, and their impact on the formation of the Early Church.
Study Group 2 – WFMCC Fellowship Hall – Thursdays 7:00pm
Lesson 1 – Hope for a New Beginning
Lesson 2 – Wait for It
I am Texas Campaign
Do you ever get tired of not being represented in major Texas and national (and global) media outlets among “Christians”? Ever wonder where “Christ” really is in our Christian communities? Do you wish that a more welcoming voice, a more compassionate perspective, or a more authentically Christ-like attitude were guiding the conversation?
Here’s your chance to help build a community of Texas Christian and spiritual social justice-makers…and help our church as well! We’re starting with Wichita Falls MCC and the bumper sticker “I am Texas”. The website www.Texans4Christ.org is a feature website for churches and spiritual communities that follow the example of Jesus of Nazareth, Christ, through compassion and service.
This campaign is JUST BEGINNING! Bumpber stickers, t-shirts, posters…all of these help a local church like WFMCC raise money to enhance ministries so that when communities are featured on the site and receive visitors attracted to our message, we are ready!
Support WFMCC NOW by getting your “I am Texas” bumper sticker today! Click here!
Welcome to our new members! This June, we welcomed Anita H., Kristen K., Mary Ellen C., Harvey W., Ally W., and Jessica W. to the membership of WFMCC!
Are you interested in becoming a member of WFMCC? Join us for Membership class!
The next Membership class will be Saturday, July 18th at 10:00am. RSVP to 940-322-4100! Snacks provided…plan on staying two hours.
Documents…these will be provided at class, but in case you’d like to preview them:
Call for Volunteers…
We have need for volunteers in several areas of the life of our church. Please let Pastor Mel know (PastorMel@WichitaFallsMCC.org, 214-500-1935) if you are willing to serve in any of the following roles… NOTE: Service on some teams require membership in the church. This is not to exclude anyone, but to ensure that those assisting with decisions have been involved in the life of the congregation for some time and have a sense of the covenant of membership and expectations therein. Members who wish to serve, but who have not signed a membership covenant will need to sign a covenant to begin service.
1. Bylaws Team – Some months ago we were notified that UFMCC does not have a copy of our bylaws on file. After review of our Bylaws, it’s become clear that the current version is not substantial enough to 1) protect the church or 2) foster excellent relationships through reasonable expectations church-wide. So, we need three volunteers to serve with the Board of Trustees in writing and presenting new bylaws. Reading and writing skills necessary. Member Only.
2. Stewardship Team – The Stewardship Team focses on the task of organizing events and ongoing fundraisers to raise money in an effort to reach our budget needs. This team needs to be creative in thought, willing to offer time and talent to various fundraisers, self-motivated, and excited to spread the word about our congregation! We are in need of…
a) Two volunteers to serve as team co-leaders, members only.
b) Three volunteers to serve as team members: two members, one friend of the church.
3. Benevolence Team – The Benevolence Team focuses on raising money and resources (food, clothes, phone cards, etc) to help serve individuals and families unable to make ends meet through other organization efforts. We are in need of…
a) Two volunteers to serve as team co-leaders, members only.
b) Three volunteers to serve as team members: members or friends of the church.
4. Worship Team – Do you enjoy planning excellent visuals, doing the order of worship “right”, and would you like to work closely with Pastor Mel to plan the spiritual journey of our congregation through worship? Then you are needed! We are in need of…
a) One volunteer to serve as team co-lead (with Pastor Mel), member only.
b) Three to Five volunteers to serve as team members: members or friends of the church.
5. Safe Sanctuaries Team – In this world, we come into contact with people whose behavior injures others. Nowhere is this more challenging for us than in the case of sexual offenders. Still, Jesus has set the example for us that those who have expressed remorse and seek to live a better life deserve our welcome and our diligence in assisting them along the way. To that end, we must both 1) make sure that our sanctuary is open to all, and 2) ensure that all within our sanctuary are safe. We need a team of gifted, forgiving, and responsible people to help us realize these goals. We are in need of…
a) One volunteer to serve as team co-lead (with Pastor Mel and a member of the Board of Trustees), member only.
b) Three volunteers to serve as team members: members only.
The Life of the Church
WFMCC Voices in Praise Choir – Choir practices at 7:30pm in the WFMCC Sanctuary. We are working on our May anthem and a summer mini-cantata! If you are interested in joining the choir or offering support to the choir, please join us at that meeting!
INTO ACTION – ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
Alcoholics Anonymous Alcoholics Anonymous is an organization of people who want to share their experiences, lend strength and help the members and others recover from alcoholism. Into Action Meeting Mondays, 7:00pm, in the rear fellowship hall. This is an OPEN meeting!
INTO ACTION – OVEREATERS ANONYMOUS
Overeaters Anonymous is now meeting at the church during the lunch hour on Wednesdays. This is an OPEN meeting! All are welcome.
Church Relationship Building
Are you struggling to connect with others at church? Finding that your expectations aren’t being met? Need to speak with someone about getting and staying connected? Review these important documents adopted by our church in March 2014. These are guiding principles that help us all know what is to be expected, what we can expect, and how we can build lasting relationships with one another.